This book is aimed at legal professionals, law students and other persons who regularly deal with legal documents written in English. It constitutes a practical reference and self – study resource, which will help you both understand English legal language as it appears in contemporary written and oral contexts, and to use clear, accurate English in everyday legal and business situations.
The book falls into three parts. The first part focuses on the key aspects of legal English writing, and provides detailed coverage of the following areas:
– Introduction to legal English
– Elements of legal writing
– Punctuation for legal writing
– Basis standards of legal writing
– Elements of good style
– What to avoid
– British and American English
The second part deals with the drafting of contracts and other legal documents, as well as letters, emails and memoranda. There is also a chapter on applying for legal positions, which contains advice on the composition of CVs and application letters.
The following areas are covered:
– Contracts: performance, termination and remedies
– Contracts: structure and interpretation
– Contract clauses: types and specimen clauses
– Drafting legal documents: language and structure
– Correspondence and memoranda
– Applying for legal positions.
The third part looks at the key areas in which English is used orally in legal practice and how English usage can be tailored to achieve maximum effectiveness in different situations. Specific suggestions as to phrases that may be used in commonly encountered situations are given throughout this part of the book.
The following areas are coverd:
– Aspects of spoken English
– Meeting, greeting and getting down to business
– Interviewing and advising
– Dealing with difficult people: ten – point guide
– Court advocacy
– Chairing a formal meeting
– Making presentations
Throughout the book, clear and concise explanations of different issues are supported by practical examples. These range from specimen clauses, contracts and letters to transcripts of court hearings and client interviews.
The book also contains no fewer than 35 separate self-study exercises, ranging from short gap-filling exercises to more involved comprehension exercises. Answers are contained in a key at the back of the book. In addition to these self – study exercises, further resources, and study tools can be accessed in the Companion website at www.routledgelaw.com/books/companionwebsites and on the author’s materials website at www.legalenglishstore.com
In addition, the book includes extensive glossaries explaining the meaning of key legal terminology.
Learn more here
Dữ Liệu Pháp luật – Nơi cung cấp tư liệu pháp luật Việt Nam và Thế giới
Hotline: 0929 193 573